Wednesday, January 9, 2013

From president to pawn store customer in two short years

AJ's been watching too much TV with his dad lately. How can I tell? Because the boy who would be president, until he decided he only wanted to be a general, and then downgraded further to soldier, and then aspired to play professional hockey but then changed his mind because he didn't like the fighting (more specifically, he didn't like the blood that resulted from the fighting) and so wanted to be a major league baseball player instead... well, recently announced a new career back-up plan.



"Mom," he told me on the way home from hockey one day, "I've got an idea of what I'm going to do if I'm not good enough for the NHL or MLB."

"Oh, yeah? What's that?" I asked.

"I'm going to move to Las Vegas."

(Silence for a moment as I tried to guess his logic.)

"And what would you do in Las Vegas?" I had to ask.

"Pawn Stars," he answered, over-enunciating each word as if this were the most obvious answer in the world. Moms can be so slow. "They have a lot of pawn stores in Las Vegas."

"You want to work at a pawn shop?"

"No," he clarified, still amazed that I didn't get it. "I'm going to bring them stuff."

"Ooooohhhh," I answered as if I finally understood. "And where are you going to get the stuff?"

"I'm going to find it."

"Where are you going to find it? Are you going to buy it at one store and then try to sell it for more money at a different store?"

"I'm just going to find it," he answered, clearly unfazed by this one missing detail in his business model. "I'm going to be a finder of cool things."

I think it's what happens when you watch one too many episodes of Pawn Stars. Thank goodness he doesn't realize we have pawn shops locally.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, MY. Grandpa David and Uncle Steve don't see any problem with Alex's plan at all.

    ReplyDelete