Monday, January 7, 2013

Puzzled

"I've got to get ready, ready.
I've got to get ready, ready.
I need my cane. I need my legs.
No can do."

It's quite entertaining to watch (and listen to) Sydney as she does puzzles. She doesn't just fit pieces together. She creates an entire drama, and sometimes even songs, involving the subjects of the puzzle.
In this case, it was a puzzle with ballerinas, and they apparently needed her to put the puzzle together so they could perform their recital.

 Whereas I've always focused on putting a puzzle's frame together first and then filling in the rest, Sydney's rule is that "the star" must be assembled first. She seriously asked me to remove the head of another, smaller dancer who I inadvertently assembled while working on the frame. 
100-piece puzzles are her favorite. It would take her forever to finish one on her own, which makes them a fun Mommy/Sydney activity. Except for the fact that Sydney also recently talked Jeff into doing a puzzle with her, and for some reason he thought it'd be cool to proclaim "Connector!" in a loud whisper every time he hooked two pieces together. So of course Sydney now thinks Mommy should do the same.
At least there was a moment of justice last night. I'd already done this particular puzzle with Sydney three times in the last two days, so when she asked to do it again, I suggested she ask Daddy to help her. They'd been working on it for only a minute or so when I heard her scold him, "You didn't say 'connector!'."
Lesson for Daddy: don't start an annoying game that you won't want to keep playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment