Tuesday, January 29, 2013

This is why I don't run a daycare

It's amazing the things you forget in five years. Memories that all come rushing back during four hours of babysitting children younger than your own. 


Watching my brother's three kids Saturday night brought it all back. For instance, here are just a few things I now realize I'd forgotten:
  • What it's like to unload groceries and cook dinner one-handed because the other arm is busy holding a baby. (I finally delegated cooking to Jeff.)
  • What it's like to eat dinner while trying not to spill on an awake baby who (thankfully) is quite content to be draped over my lap.
  • How much a baby drools while in the above described position.
  • How unpredictable a baby's sleep and eating schedule can be.
  • What a challenge it can be to do all the above while also trying to watch a toddler.
I should also mention something new I learned: just how loud five kids can be - especially when Nerf guns are involved.

Finn had fussed at first after being dropped off, but was quickly distracted when he saw the play kitchen and toy food in Sydney's room. Though, note those are not cookies on the tray. They are "cakes". 


During the short time Zoe napped, we were able to play downstairs. AJ was quite excited to teach his cousins the joys of basement hockey. We briefly gave them each a hockey stick before realizing that was an accident waiting to happen. Which was fine with Finn. He was happy just carrying and throwing balls.


And then Miss Zoe decided a 20-minute nap was long enough, and even though she'd only eaten an hour ago and supposedly is on an every-three-hours eating schedule, she was hungry again. AJ loved helping with this part.


Meanwhile, Sydney and Zane played Play-doh and ate the Skittles we'd gotten earlier in the day at the snack shack.


And then we decided it was time to settle down. Finn requested Elmo, and thankfully we still had an Elmo DVD.


Ahhh... peace and quiet at last. Just in time for Zoe to go to sleep. Giving me a chance to enjoy one of my favorite things I will always remember about babies: how wonderful it is to snuggle with them on my chest.


I've loved my children at every stage. Each new development brings its share of challenges, but I wouldn't go back in time. And so, to my brother and sister-in-law, let me just say: better you than me! (But know that we'd be happy to watch them all again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment