Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Before and after

As Jeff carried Sydney out the door to daycare, I blew my darling little girl a kiss goodbye. I might as well have been blowing a kiss goodbye to any semblance of neatness and cleanliness.

Sydney started out the day looking so cute and well cared for. Really, she did. I'd dressed her in a fun polka dot dress. The one from "Aunt Sa-wa. And Eh-wic TOO! Sami-chloe. And Baby Zane!" (Yes, she credits them all, in that order and with that kind of emphasis, every time she wears any of the clothes they've given her.) Along with the dress, she wore matching polka dot bottoms and her favorite pink crocs. And to finish the look, I'd pulled her hair up into a sort of Pebbles Flinstone 'do, tied off with a beaded "hair pretty".

That was at 7:15 a.m.

By 7:15 p.m., she looked like this:


The "hair pretty" was missing in action. The polka dot bottoms were gone, too. I found them later on the bathroom floor. Jeff had forgotten to put them back on her after the last diaper change. And the crocs were on the wrong feet. AJ admitted he helped her with those.

And did I mention the dirt that covered her from head to toe? I'm not talking about a small smattering of dust here and there. No. Not my little girl.


She'd managed to get so dirty that the dark streaks left her face, arms and legs looking a bit like a topographic map.

The good news for my mud-encrusted missy? She miraculously made it through the day without enriching her hair with the remnants of any meals. Translation: she got to "swim-swim" in the bathtub, without getting her hair washed. Savor the small victories wherever you may find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment