Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sweet dreams my little star

Guess who's getting a big girl bed!

Sydney will soon be able to sing Twinkle, twinkle little star as she stares at the stars on her new bed - a bed I just learned has been in my family for five generations.


Now if I could just get her to stand still for five seconds so I could snap a photo by the headboard.

I'm quite proud of how it turned out. Gone is the dark brown, rather scuffed finish. I've spent the last four days sanding it smooth and repainting it. The stars were the finishing detail. Now we're just waiting for the footboard to dry (I had to re-sand and paint it because of some bad bubbling) before assembling it.

I should have realized that I was expecting a lot, asking a toddler to stand still right after she learned she was getting a bed with stickers on it. "Daddy, I got stickers," she exclaimed. "I get stars!"

Actually, the "stickers" are vinyl rub-ons which can be easily removed when she outgrows this stage. But I think it's safe to assume she wouldn't understand, nor care about, that distinction right now.

Based on my mom's calculations, this bed quite possibly is 95 years old. I'd always known it as my Grandpa LeVahn's bed. It became my bed through college and my early years in Duluth up until the time I married Jeff. Most recently, the bed served as the spare bed in our guest room. But I just learned this week that it actually was my Great Grandma Pearson's bed, possibly dating back to her marriage in 1914.

I find it rather cool to think that Sydney and I, her only two descendants to be given her middle name now also have been given her bed. Sweet dreams my little sweet heart. I suspect there's an extra angel smiling down at you as you sleep in what once was her bed.

1 comment: