Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Kids try to say the sweetest things

My planned blog post will have to wait, as will the work that I really should be doing right now. I need to write about something that just happened.

My good friends Sue and Gary Holt just made a decision that no one should have to make. Gary's been battling pancreatic cancer for two years, and tonight they announced their decision to discontinue the painful treatments. I worked with Sue and Gary for many years at WDIO, and played volleyball with them as well. They are such good people, and I couldn't stop the tears as I relayed the news to Jeff.

And that's when my two little sweethearts stepped in.

Sydney looked up at me as I was wiping my eyes and asked, "Are you scared?"

"No honey, I'm not scared," I answered.

"Don't be sad Mommy," AJ said, immediately coming to give me a hug. "I don't want you to be sad. Everything will be okay."

Is this child really just four and a half years old?

And then, as if to affirm his innocence and young age, he continued, "Don't be a sad girl, because that will make me sad. Just be a happy girl. Don't cry. It hurts my brain. I don't want you to blow your nose anymore!"

Bless their good intentions. More importantly, may God bless Sue, Gary and their family. I've always believed that everything happens for a reason. But that's easy to say considering I've never experienced anything of this magnitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment