Thursday, November 5, 2009

A star is... worn (out)

AJ's reign as Star of the Week has come to an end. He thinks he has to return his special necklace for next week's Star to wear. I'm fairly certain he gets to keep it, otherwise I doubt it would have been sent home with him.

AJ definitely enjoyed the extra attention that accompanied his Star designation. (His preschool rotates the honor in alphabetical order based on first names. Aidric was first, followed by AJ, and next week it will be on to Ava.) Each day he's wanted to skip his time at Cool Kids and go straight to preschool.

Wednesday, I got to spend the last half hour with him in class, sitting on a tiny chair in front of everyone while AJ showed off his All About Me poster. (The teacher told me she couldn't help but smile every time she looked at it, because she loved the pictures of AJ smiling.)

And then it was time to read Dino-Hockey. Amid instructions for the kids to sit "criss-cross applesauce," (I suppose it's no longer politically correct to tell children to sit Indian style. That's how I was taught to sit cross-legged.) I got to read one of AJ's favorite stories. The kids loved the play-by-play story of a hockey game between the meat-eating and veggie-loving dinosaurs, and when we finished, AJ wrapped his arms around my neck in a great big hug. I can't help but wonder how much longer he'll be willing to show such enthusiastic displays of affection in front of his friends.

The end of storytime meant the end of class for the day. Rather than bring AJ back to Cool Kids, so that I could return to work, we both played hooky for the rest of the afternoon. It was kind of fun to be able to focus just on him for a couple hours. Call it star treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment