Thursday, March 17, 2011

Celebrating green

Ahhh... St. Patrick's Day... the annual event honoring the patron saint of Shamrock Shakes.


There are numerous instances of my children's tastes differing from mine. AJ likes olives and raw tomatoes, not to mention mushrooms on his pizza. On the other end of the spectrum is Little Miss Picky Eater, who, I won't go into the many favorites of mine that she doesn't even want to try.

But we do share a love of Shamrock Shakes. More specifically, we all love the special request version: half chocolate/half mint. I'm not sure why McDonald's had to try and make them fancier this year, adding whip cream and a cherry on top, and pouring them in see-through plastic cups. (My guess is it's so they could justify a price hike.)

I'm hoping AJ won't be disappointed by the time this day is through. He's pretty sure he's going to see a leprechaun and he's hopeful he might even get some gold from said mythical creature. A girl on his bus said she knows where a leprechaun is hiding, and Mrs. Boese said a leprechaun must be the reason her computer was acting up earlier this week. "So they're real, Mom. I'm sure of it."

(I'm actually a little bit surprised, living in this town of Fins, that we seemed to have skipped past St. Urho's Day yesterday, with very little recognition.)

I suppose if AJ comes home from school today with his dreams of lucky leprechauns shattered, I could always try to cheer him up. Another Shamrock/chocolate shake should do the trick quite nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment