Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Ready for his close up

Who ever heard of a school taking student pictures twice in one year? I'm not talking about re-takes for the kids who closed their eyes or had a goofy expression on their face. At AJ's school, which already took pictures last fall and has a yearbook in progress, today is "Spring Picture Day".

It must be a big deal. AJ came home yesterday announcing that Mrs. Boese told everyone they have to wear nice shirts and "everyone has to take a bath or shower and brush their teeth."

I wonder if this is in response to parents who can't get enough professionally taken photos of their little darlings? Or is it yet another way for the school to make a little money?

AJ will be having his "class picture" taken. I'm assuming this is his individual kindergarten class, not the entire class of 2023. That's $5, and of course I'm shelling out the money for such a special momento. Oh, but wait, the note says they'll also be taking individual photos. But don't worry - no money is needed for that part on picture day, they'll send additional information with a proof in coming days.

Unless that proof shows AJ with an award-winning smile and no camera glare on his glasses, I'm fairly certain I'll pass on the opportunity. Why the skepticism? Because the photography studio happens to be the same one that took ridiculous pictures at the kids' daycare last year. In that instance, AJ's expression was fine, but he had a big wet spot on the front of his shirt. I'm guessing he'd been sent to the bathroom to wash up right before the photo shoot and leaned against a wet counter. Somehow the photographer never noticed. Meanwhile the same photographer could not get Sydney to smile for anything. The silliest part was the photos were taken in front of a green screen (similar to what weathercasters use on TV) so that they could project a variety of backgrounds onto the photo. So I had the choice of buying a picture of my not-smiling toddler standing in a field of daisies, or better yet, in front of a graffiti-covered brick wall. Yeah - that's how I want to remember my daughter at this stage in her life! I asked if they could put the photo in front of a more standard background so that the focus would be on my child rather than the fake scenery, but no, plain backgrounds weren't an option.

Did I mention that AJ's instructions for today's photo includes "Please avoid wearing the color green on picture day"? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing more fake waterfalls and painted alleys.

With the "no green" rule, good thing they didn't schedule this for tomorrow on St. Patrick's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment