Wednesday, March 30, 2011

It's no good

Just as all good things must come to an end, our nearly three-month-long streak of good health screeched to a stop Tuesday with a phone call from Sydney's daycare saying she had a 101.5 degree fever. Thus set in motion some frantic negotiating of schedules and planning of what work could be done from home.

Silly me for thinking I could get some work done at home while caring for a sick child. Sydney alternated between her tough trooper persona, resting on the couch and taking it all in stride - and her drama queen alter ego.

She repeatedly informed me of her feelings about being sick, summing it up as, "It's no good." I tried without luck to get her to say it on video, but instead captured the drama queen:


(That's a hug she's asking for at the end of the video.) A little later, she expanded her thought, saying "Being sick is no good." And a little after that she inserted a little Sydney-ism into it all, declaring, "It's no use being sick."

I'll be sure to remind her that when she tries to use a fake illness as an excuse to stay home from school.

As for how she's doing today, I haven't taken her temperature yet, but she feels cooler. I'm surprised she's even awake right now because she (and I) spent about two hours awake in the middle of the night. Stating the obvious, I hope she gets better soon, and I really hope nobody else catches it. Sydney is a natural snuggler, a trait that is heightened when she's not feeling good. During our early morning (2-4 a.m.) awake time, she whispered to me, "Mommy, will you hug me?"

How do you say no to a request like that? I've washed my hands more times in the last 24 hours than I can count, but I've certainly been exposed to whatever it is she's got. And so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. When I'm not busy sanitizing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment