Monday, March 28, 2011

Not-so-fresh discoveries

I love the Great Lakes Aquarium. It's amazing to think it was 10 years ago this spring that I started working there. A decade ago, right about now, I was in the midst of some serious soul searching about my future career path and leaving the only profession (journalism) I'd ever considered doing dating back to the fifth grade.

Fast forward to the present, because that's how quickly the time seems to have flown by, and I love to see my kids appreciate the exhibits almost as much as I do. (Note the turtle swimming right next to Sydney's hand.)


We visited the Aquarium last Saturday, and the kids had fun as always. Though leave it to my son to discover the dead fish. I'm not talking about the unfortunate floaters that the husbandry department had to scoop out from time to time. No, my little darling managed to find the decomposing remains of what I'm guessing was supposed to be (and maybe partially had been) critter food.


"Mom! I found a dead fish!" AJ called out, excitedly pointing out the tiny carcass that somehow had been overlooked on the rocks of the St. Louis River. I do believe AJ would have picked that thing up if I hadn't admired it with a stern, "Don't touch it!"

At least, after that, we found more traditional exhibits for hands-on learning. The ore boat, for instance, which doubles quite nicely as a pirate ship.


Sydney played dress up in the Masters of Disguise exhibit. Good thing her survival doesn't depend on her ability to blend in with her surroundings. Camouflage is not one of Sydney's stronger skills.


Other highlights for the kids: AJ got to touch a snake and Sydney got to watch an otter poop. For me, I appreciate the simpler highlights, such as leaving with kids whose shirts aren't totally drenched from the water table. That, to me, is a successful visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment