Friday, March 4, 2011

Let's call it a season

Could it be true? Are we really done? I'm scared to put it in writing here for fear of jinxing something and suddenly getting a last-minute text saying one more game has been added. But I think AJ's hockey season is at last over.

Why am I so skeptical? Well, let's see. There was the tournament two weekends ago that I thought marked the end of the season... (that's AJ in the white helmet.)


But then we found out a game had been added for the following Tuesday, plus the Moms versus Mites game on Wednesday. At the Moms game, it was announced that ANOTHER game had been added, for the following Tuesday.

So we dutifully bundled up earlier this week against the bitter winds and cheered for AJ's team yet again.


Having to come straight from work, I arrived at the game a few minutes late and happened to spot a print out on one of the benches listing a game for Thursday and showing a map to a rink in Duluth.

"Tell me that's not for our team," I said to Jeff. But, yes, that's right, it was - one more game! Let the magic drag on a little longer!

At least the weather last night was a bit warmer.


AJ ended the year on a high note, scoring three goals and two assists. We congratulated him on his hat trick, to which he responded, "What's that?" (Of course, now that we've explained it, he can't wait to go to school and tell his teacher.)

Why am I daring to dream that this was really the final game? Afterward, the kids had to turn in their jerseys. Yes! I think we're finally done.

On the way home, AJ said sadly, "I don't think I can wait a whole year to play hockey again."

And that's when it hit me. It's only eight months until this all starts up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment