Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Someone's lovin' it.

It started with a simple request from Sydney, "When we get home, I want to do the dishes."

Ever the doting parent, I told her she could. After all, who am I to deny my sweet little princess' wish to wash dishes?

But then she asked if she could wear one of "those white things that go around here." (Picture in your mind Sydney making wild hand gestures around her waist.)

"You mean an apron?" I asked.

"Yes!"

That took a little work to find, but eventually we located it in the bottom of the costume bin. While we were looking, I happened to find the hat from my old McDonald's uniform. We're talking a vintage '80s polyester double-knit visor. Definitely an envy-worthy classic. Sniff hard and you just might be able to inhale the remnants of grease that's now a quarter-century old.

Sydney was beyond excited. The apron and washing dishes were quickly forgotten. I pointed out that I always wore an apron when washing dishes at McDonald's, but that didn't sway her. She was too busy digging out her McDonald's cash register.


Perhaps it's an indication of how often we eat at her favorite fast food restaurant, or maybe it goes to show how good customer service is rooted in basic common sense... but Sydney already has the process nailed. She greets me, takes the order and suggestive sells additional items. Okay, that last part might need a little work.

Sydney: What would you like today?

Me: I'll have an apple pie and a cup of coffee.

Sydney: You have to order more than two things.Otherwise you'll get too hungry.

Me: Okay, I'll have some french fries, too, please.

Sydney: Very good.

She then calls back the order using an imaginary microphone.


I'm not quite sure why she thinks she should talk with an uppity accent, but here's some video of the next generation of McDonald's girl:


Clearly, she'll need to practice her enunciation of the word "three," otherwise she'll be giving away a lot of food. But other than that, she seems to have a better handle on the job than some of the workers we've encountered recently who do have the job.

My children make me so proud as they dream of the future. AJ plans to play in the NHL some day. And Sydney... Sydney will be serving happy meals to the post-game rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment