Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Note from the teacher

I'm going to let a guest writer fill in for me today: AJ's first grade teacher. (She doesn't know, so don't tell - particularly because her e-mail ends with a confidentiality notice stating any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of the message is prohibited. But nobody pays attention to those disclaimers, right?)

I'd emailed her a question about a skating event his class is having Friday. She responded, and then added the note below. If the first paragraph doesn't make sense, read here and know that I never got around to talking to the teacher.
 I just have to tell you a couple funny things that happened lately....  First, when we were making valentine's cards to our parents, he asked me what it's called when two people get married and then a few years later they don't get along anymore and live in seperate houses.  I saw he has written "Please..." so I told him it's called "divorced" but I explained I knew he was just trying to say that he's happy that his parents do live together, so I suggested writing, "I'm happy you got married" and explained that it might make some parents sad to know their kids think about them getting divorced.  He said it was ok because he talked to you about it before and you told him you were "love mates" and that wouldn't happen.  I just said "soul mates" and let him write whatever.  It was too sweet!

Then a couple days later we had two students from St. Scholastica working with our school nurse and they tagged along with our class to see where the lunch room was.  Alex asked them what college they were from and they told him.  And he said "happy anniversary".  I had him explain more and he said his dad went there and that it's the school's anniversary this year... how thoughtful!

One last thing...  in  music the other day, the substitute held up a sweatshirt asking if it belonged to anyone in our class. It was very unique because it had one long sleeve and one short sleeve so the sub and I were commenting on how odd that was. Alex announced it was probably made for "soul surfer".... the girl who lost her arm to the shark attack.

You have got one smart, observant boy on your hands... I'm sure you don't get away with much without him noticing.

Anyway, I just had to share those stories because I've been thinking them all weekend. I can't wait to see his hockey skills on Friday! I'll see you at the rink. 

I've said it many times: I love how my son's mind works. How lucky we are that his teacher appreciates it too, and takes the time to share the stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment