Monday, February 6, 2012

Nano science - big fun

For the most part, my kids have no concept of what I do for a living. They love coming to my office and visiting with my co-workers. They know I sit in front of a computer and write stories and send e-mails. Sometimes I go to meetings and talk on the phone. But it's not easy summarizing and simplifying the duties of an "account executive/copywriter" in terms a child cares about. It's not as if I do something important like catch bad guys.

However, sometimes my job has some really cool perks for them. Every so often one of them ends up with their picture in a brochure or magazine. And sometimes they get to do fun things like watercolor painting using salt water.


And trying on princess costumes.


Friday night was the official debut of the new "Nano" exhibit at the Duluth Children's Museum. It also included a "Cool Chemistry" program featuring all sorts of experiments and fun. I recently began working with the museum on a general awareness campaign, and needed to see the new exhibit. And so, with the help of my two favorite research assistants, I stopped in to check out the various activities offered.

AJ thought it was very cool to see how lemon juice made a formerly dirty penny look brand new. (His enthusiasm faded somewhat when he learned he didn't get to keep the penny.)


The butterfly/bug projector wall was another source of fascination. Stand still and watch the giant bugs land on your head, or balloon.


The highlight of the night, however, was the making of Nano Ice Cream. Mix together heavy cream, sugar and vanilla, then add liquid nitrogen with a temperature of -325 degrees.


Wow! AJ and Sydney were fascinated.


And then they got to taste it. AJ gave it a thumbs up. Having the option to top his Nano ice cream with caramel sauce made it simply perfect. (Sydney topped her ice cream with strawberry sauce. And then proceeded to top her shirt with the same.)


So how fun was it? The kids didn't want to leave. I reminded AJ that he was going to miss the beginning of the Bulldog's hockey game, and he shrugged and went back to what he was doing. Sydney, meanwhile, woke up the next morning and asked if we could go back to the Children's Museum.

Yeah... sometimes Mom's job - whatever it is - can be pretty neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment