Monday, February 25, 2013

Birthday treats

If this past weekend was any indication, I'm really going to like being 43. That's because between enjoying a Saturday night date with my husband, good fellowship with some church friends on Sunday morning, some alone time for me on a five-mile run, ice skating with the kids Sunday afternoon, and then more fun with my kids and my "hockey family" Sunday evening, I just can't think of any part of this past weekend that I'd change.

It was a pretty perfect birthday.

But I can't help but wonder what year 43 will hold. During my run, my mind started to wonder, as it often does, and I started thinking about events of other key years. 

I consider age 23 as my first real year of adulthood. It was the year I got my first "real job" out of college, followed by the job that brought me to Duluth, my first time living away from home.

When I was 33, (which I've joked for years was the age when I finally was as old as my parents, because that's the first age I remember them being), I spent half the year wishing it was over. It was the year Jeff deployed to Bosnia, and I couldn't wait for the time to pass so he could come home. (He made it home two days before my 34th birthday.)

Now another 10 years have passed. And I couldn't be happier with where I am in life. I wonder if the people who dread birthdays are really just regretting bad choices they've made that have kept them from realizing a dream.

But enough of the philosophical thoughts. Here are some pictures of the fun. I got to watch my two favorite guys battle it out on the ice during the Dads versus Mite 2s hockey game. It's an annual tradition, and I'll write more about it in another day.


The bright sun that had blessed us all day gave way to an almost full moon.


After the game, a fellow hockey mom and Esko Pride committee member surprised me with cupcakes. Check out the depth of that frosting. All of the kids were in awe.


And because that wasn't enough sugar for them, we split early and headed to Dairy Queen for some blizzards.



And then, because the weekend wasn't perfect enough, I woke up this morning to email confirmation that both Jeff and I were picked in the lottery to run the half marathon again.

Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment