Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Let's get baking

I need to bake more often. I need to get my kids baking with me more often. I don't want my husband walking through the kitchen commenting in amazement when he sees me using the really nice mixer he gave me for Christmas a few years ago, "You're making cookies? From scratch?"

I don't want my kids asking, as they watch the mixer stir together butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla, "Is it cookie dough yet?"

A combination of unfulfilled good intentions and poor monitoring of my kitchen cupboards has created a situation. I have a LOT of flour. Three bags of it. In addition to the nearly full Tupperware container of it. 

If you don't bake, you don't need much flour.

And so, when while grocery shopping and the kids suggested we buy some ready-to-bake cookie dough, I had a better idea.

And at the very end of a three day weekend, (very end = after hockey practice, just barely done in time to eat before bedtime) we baked. 


The chocolate chip cookie dough had to be bars because there wasn't enough time for cookies. And when it was done, AJ peered at the top and commented that they looked like the fish filets Jeff makes for dinners on the nights I work late. (They are close to the same color).


But most important, the house smelled wonderful and the bars tasted great.

AJ now knows that when measuring brown sugar, he should pack it in. And Sydney learned the opposite is true when measuring flour.

Hockey season is coming to a close in just a couple weeks. I think I have some ideas of what we'll be doing with our spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment