Wednesday, November 26, 2008

New words


I'm a few days late in marking Sydney's latest verbal accomplishments. At 17 months, she's added a whole bunch of new words to her vocabulary. Unfortunately, only a few of them are understandable. Among the ones I can make out:

  • Mine! (of course, she had to learn that one)
  • Wow!
  • Mow (mouse)
  • Mook (milk)
  • Duck
  • Shoe
  • Uh oh!

I wrote an article earlier this week about early literacy. One of the statistics I learned is that reading to your child 20 minutes a day, exposes them to about a million more words each year.

Having been asked to read "That's not my puppy" and "Hello Blueberry" about 5,000 times in the last few days, I wonder how many of those million words are simply the same words read over and over and over and over....

No comments:

Post a Comment