Saturday, November 22, 2008

Rude awakening

Oh, what a night! It was the kind that makes me wonder, "Do these kinds of things happen to anyone else?"

Sydney woke up a little after midnight. I lifted her from her crib, intending to snuggle with her on the couch until she fell back asleep. I could immediately tell she felt very warm, but since she'd been fine all day, I figured it was the result of being entangled in a blanket while wearing a sleeper.

The couch idea didn't work. Sydney wanted to lay next to me, not on top of me, which makes for a tight squeeze. Plus, the blanket that's normally out there, wasn't, so without my little human radiator on my chest, I was freezing.

I next tried bringing her into bed. While I'd been on the couch, Jeff had shifted to the middle of the bed, so I tried nudging him to move over. He sleepily mumbled, "Sydney's not here."

"Sydney is here," I patiently replied, "which is why you need to move over."

He shifted a bit, so I tried to settle in with Sydney. For more than an hour, she tossed and turned, alternating between wanting to sleep as absolutely close to me as possible, and wanting to not touch me at all. I finally nudged Jeff and said, "I need your help. I need Baby Tylenol and a glass of milk. Do you want to get it? Or can you hang on to her while I go get it?"
Jeff chose to get it, and a few minutes later he returned. In the dark, he handed me a glass of milk. It wasn't until I tipped it back for Sydney that we discovered that he hadn't secured the top tightly. Ice cold milk came pouring out, all over Sydney and me. She let out a scream. I let out a scream. Milk drenched both us and the bed. Flipping on the lights, I stripped off her sleeper and my shirt. I next started pulling sheets before the milk could soak the mattress.
About this time, Sydney discovered her now-empty glass of milk. This prompted another scream of outrage from her. It was empty and she was thirsty! So we headed into the kitchen and got her more milk.
Suddenly, life was good, at least for her. The little turkey actually started dancing around with delight. Wearing a onesie and a diaper, with a full glass of milk in hand, Sydney decided it was time to play. At 2:30 a.m.
I think it was about a half hour later before we finally fell back asleep. Zzzzzzzz.....

P.S. Whatever fever she had, is now gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment