Thursday, June 18, 2009

Happy? Birthday

When AJ turned two, he was so excited when I made cupcakes for his birthday that he started calling them "Happy cakes".

With Sydney, the reaction was a little different.

Actually, the reason for this resourceful little scavenger's fit is that I just slid the batter-filled muffin tins out of her reach. For the third time.

I needed to bake 12 cupcakes for Sydney to bring to daycare today. That's a perfect number because I have enough muffin tins for just that many. But because nothing can be simple, the box holds enough mix to make 24 cupcakes, and I really didn't want to go through the process twice. So instead I divided it up into cupcakes and a small cake. The cake went into the oven first, because it required additional baking time. In retrospect, I should have put them all in at once, so that the cupcakes would be done sooner.

All went quite well during the mixing process. AJ and Sydney each got a beater to lick. A little later, they happily relieved me of the spatula and spoon. It was when Sydney finished her spoon that we began our battle of wills.

"Sorry Sydney, it's all gone." I told her when she came back for more.

Not satisfied with that answer, she climbed up on the stool to see for herself. That's when she spotted the muffin tins that were filled with batter. It was pretty easy to figure out her next move as she stretched out her arm to dip the spoon in one of the soon-to-be cupcakes. I quickly intercepted/rescued the muffin tins and moved them to a different part of the counter.

As I worked to clean up the kitchen, the little turkey casually slid the stool over to the new spot and attempted another stretch and dip maneuver. I again told her no, removed her from the stool and went back to my cleaning.

It was on the third try that the tantrum started. That was the end of Sydney's time in the kitchen.

By the time bedtime rolled around, she was back to her happy self. I'm sure the cupcake she was allowed to sample as a bedtime treat had nothing to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment