Thursday, October 1, 2009

Forgotten post

Is it really possible that these pictures are less than two weeks old? Sydney is sleeveless and AJ is in shorts. And this morning I am wearing a wool coat, and expect to need an ice scraper to get out of the driveway. For the second day in a row.

I'd loaded these photos onto the blog back on Sept. 21, and then apparently never wrote about them. The kids must have done something else that was cuter, followed by our trip to Canada, and somehow, whatever I intended to write, remained in draft form.

We were at the Hermantown Elementary School playground. I wrote about this place in an article for Duluth~Superior Magazine, noting that in this day and age of towering, plastic playgrounds, this "firetruck" is proof that sometimes it's the classics that best capture a child's imagination. My kids love this playground, just because of this one piece.

Much to AJ's dismay, Sydney now enjoys the firetruck as much as he does, which means Mommy had to work quickly to convince him that riding in back as "the ladder guy" was just as cool as being the driver. Sure enough, within seconds, Sydney was willing to forfeit the driver's seat, "I do ladder." Sibling squabble prevented!

A side note for history's sake. It wasn't just my imagination that summer finally seemed to arrive in September. I'd heard a statistic earlier in the month that the average temperature for the first two weeks of September was warmer than June, July and August. Last night it was reported this was Duluth's warmest September in 102 years.

It was nice while it lasted. But I doubt the warm fuzzy feeling will do much for me when I head outside in a half hour to scrape the frost from my windshield.

No comments:

Post a Comment