Monday, October 26, 2009

Mini-minister

I thought it was embarrassing during the children's sermon to sit in the back of the church while AJ announced whatever was on his mind for all the congregation to hear. Now I realize that's not so bad.

What's really embarrassing is walking up to the front of the church with Sydney so that she can take part in the children's sermon, so that everyone is looking at you when AJ starts talking. Because what am I supposed to do? It's not like I can say "Shhh!" in front of everyone when AJ gets the urge to tell the pastor about our fruitless search of the house for a pencil that was already sharpened.

Sunday's children's sermon focused on asking God's forgiveness when we make mistakes. The pastor started by making the comparison of why we need erasers on pencils (thus AJ's inspiration to share our pencil story.)

As the pastor tried making the connection between erasing mistakes and God forgiving mistakes, AJ jumped ahead of him to explain how God could do that. "Jesus died on the cross for all our sins."

"Excellent!" the pastor exclaimed. "Stand up and say it again for everyone to hear."

Of course AJ was only too happy to oblige. Standing up, looking down at the kids, he spread his arms wide and repeated, "Jesus died on the cross for all our sins."

Mercifully, the children's sermon wrapped up soon after, so we could return to our seats. Could, but didn't. Because AJ had to first tell the pastor we were going to Scarium at the Aquarium after church. I pried AJ away and started walking back with Sydney. AJ ran ahead, stopping briefly to give a high-5 to our next door neighbor who happened to be sitting across the aisle from us.

Amazingly, the message actually made an impact on AJ. Sunday night, while snuggling at bedtime, AJ told me, "Mom, I made a mistake today."

"What did you do?" I asked.

"I bugged Sydney and made her mad."

Figuring this was a good time to drive home the message, I told him, "Then you need to pray and tell God you're sorry, and ask him to forgive you."

AJ gave me a funny look, but proceeded to pray, "Dear God, I'm sorry I bugged Sydney. Please forgive me. Amen."

"Good job," I told him. "Doesn't that make you feel better now?"

He gave me a sweet smile and nodded, and then started praying again. "Dear God. I'm sorry for all the mistakes I'll ever make. Please forgive me. Amen." He then opened his eyes and proudly explained, "Now I don't have to do that every time."

No comments:

Post a Comment