Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sleeping beauty

Poor, poor Sydney. She's simply not a morning person. She fights and fights to keep from falling asleep at night, and then shows equal resistance to waking the next morning.

And so we seem to have fallen into a bit of a routine. I go into her room in the morning and call out her name, telling her it's time to wake up.

She ignores me.

I then lift the blind that covers the small window, allowing some light into her room.

She might moan in protest, but generally continues to ignore me.

I continue telling her it's morning time as I raise the blind on the big window, flooding her room sunlight.


And still, she does her best to deny what she must do. It used to work to challenge her to get ready before AJ. She'll do anything to beat her brother. But even the novelty of that is gone.

Yesterday morning, with her face still buried in bedding, she muttered something I couldn't understand. I asked her to say it again, and she did, but with her face plastered to the mattress, I still couldn't make it out. We did this several more times.

I finally told her she needed to lift up her head so that I could understand what she was saying. She did so, just long enough to say, "Can you close the curtains?"

For someone not quite three, she's got quite a vocabularly, even when she's groggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment