Friday, August 5, 2011

Child's play - Chicago style

A vendor I deal with often through work is about to go to Chicago, so when he heard I'd just been there, he asked for tips of what to see and do. As I described all the places we'd gone,, his expression showed that he'd totally lost interest. He's traveling without kids and was looking for tips on nightlife.

Couldn't help him with that.

Though I think it's kind of nice that kids give us the excuse to check out places like the Children's Museum.


Chicago's basically serves as the entrance to Navy Pier. Sydney and I spent quite a bit of time in the grocery store/restaurant/kitchen, where she happily served me breakfast. Over and over and over again. Eggs and lemonade - the new breakfast of champions.


The museum also featured a fun dinosaur exhibit, which was similar to something we saw in St. Paul a few years ago. Similar, but not identical, because I don't recall AJ ever having the chance before to do this:


The girls preferred looking for dinosaurs, rather than be eaten by them. Here they are searching for "fossils":


But by far, the kids favorite exhibit was... a piano.


Perhaps it's time we buy one and enroll them in lessons. They patiently waited in line for about 10 minutes for a chance to play. (Behind a young girl who admittedly was quite good, but also an incredibly annoying show off with parents who seemed happy to let her show off, either oblivious or uncaring that close to 10 kids were waiting in line for their turns.)


I have to say I was a bit disappointed by the children's museum. It certainly was nice, and the kids had fun. But compared to the children's museums in St. Paul and in Rochester, NY, it wasn't that impressive. I'd figured a city the size of Chicago would have something amazing. Oh well. The kids still enjoyed themselves, proving that really all they need is a place to play and unleash their imaginations.

No comments:

Post a Comment