Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Getting her fill(ing)

I'd been envisioning a scene both dramatic and traumatic: Jeff having to use his police training to restrain a screaming four-year-old in the chair, doing his best to pry her jaws apart for the dentist to do his work.

Either the dentistry profession has made remarkable strides in the last 35+ years, or my daughter has nerves made of a stronger substance than what was used to fill the cavity in her molar.

Say, "Aaaahhhh."
When I asked Sydney what happened at the dentist, she answered, "I got a prize."

"Did you get to wear sunglasses again?"

"They had pink glasses."

"You got to wear pink glasses?"

She nodded. "And I saw Ellie Chicos' mom!"

According to Jeff, the filling is in the farthest back tooth on the bottom on her left. (Um, yeah... I can't see it either.)

Getting Sydney to tell me about the visit was like... well... you know I absolutely have to use the pun...it was like pulling teeth.

"What did the dentist say?" Drawing on my reporter training, I continued asking Sydney questions. Surely something would trigger her to open up and give me some good blog material.

"Um, I don't know."

"What did it feel like when you got the filling?" I persisted.

"Um, I don't remember. (Slight pause.) I'm walking away now."

Seriously. The experience made that little of an impression on her. Jeff says they were in and out in five minutes. No Novocain needed. And before they left, Sydney was able to snag not just one, but two rings, plus an airplane toy for her brother.

Let's hope the bravery continues. At least for another week. That's when it's my turn to take Sydney for her first visit with the eye doctor. I'm not so good at the restraint holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment