Saturday, August 13, 2011

Parading through town

What's the only thing better than watching a parade? Being in it!

Last year, the youth hockey association had a float in our community's summer parade, so AJ got to ride in it. But this year, for whatever reason, the hockey powers-that-be decided to skip the parade, which meant AJ and his fellow hockey players were stuck back on the sidelines.


And while it was fun for AJ to wave to soldiers, it was quite obvious he would have preferred to be tossing Tootsie Rolls to the crowd, instead of being on the receiving end. 

About halfway through what was possibly the shortest parade ever, our church's float passed by. Considering our church puts together a float every year, it shouldn't have come as a surprise to see it. AJ stared in longing at his friends who were riding on the large trailer. Just then the pastor walked by. AJ shouted to him, "Why can't I be on the float?"

(Answer: because Mommy apparently didn't read the bulletin very closely.)

The pastor looked surprised and told AJ, "You can, if you want."

AJ turned to me, "Can I?"

"Uh... sure, why not?" I answered, and so off he ran, abandoning his bucket of candy. 


A few minutes later the parade wrapped up. Sydney and I walked to the end point, where the community picnic was just getting started. I couldn't see AJ, but ran into several people I knew through church, school or sporting events who all were able to point me in the direction where they'd last seen him.

Soon enough we found him... strolling around the park like he owned the place. AJ excitedly told me he got to walk in front of the float and throw candy.

How I love living in a small town!

No comments:

Post a Comment