Friday, August 26, 2011

The new playground

It's no wooden castle, but the new playground at AJ's school has won the approval of the two members of our family who are most likely to use it. After AJ's soccer game last night (ended in a 4-4 tie, AJ scored one of the goals) we let the kids test out the various slides, bridges and climbing areas.


It's bigger and better than I'd expected it to be. It makes me feel a little guilty that I didn't do more to help make it happen. Sure, I ran in a couple of 5K fundraiser races, but that's it. Our schedules were already booked back in June when they tore down the old structure and put together the new.


AJ was sad to say goodbye to the old wooden castle. He's been climbing on it since he was... well... old enough to climb. Really, though, his fascination with knights ended a while ago, so who needs a castle? It's much more fun right now to pretend to be a ship's captain, and the new playground includes several bridges that are just perfect to run across while yelling, "Iceberg! Dead ahead!" (Can you guess who recently checked out a library book about the Titanic?)

The wave see-saw was another favorite.


Whatever the shredded, recycled rubber material is that provides the padding on the ground - I love it! Not once did Sydney ask me to get rocks or sand out of her crocs.


Having once written a freelance article about the best playgrounds in the Northland, I feel I have a certain level of expertise in critiquing these child wonder lands. And I say this one is a winner. I suspect recess for AJ this year is going to even more fun than last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment