Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The balancing act of motherhood

Dedicated, supportive mother? Or crazy lady humming circus tunes while skipping down the driveway?

It's a fine line that separates the two.

A line drawn in chalk on our driveway. 


Sydney's "homework" called for her to draw a long line on the driveway and walk along it with her arms outstretched, pretending it's a tightrope. We started up by the garage, where I had her draw a line that was about 15 feet long. Sydney started her balancing act walk, with me following a few feet behind her.

To make it more fun, I started humming a circus song (which doesn't exactly translate into words, considering my version started, "Da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da... yeah, I'm sure you know exactly the one I'm talking about.) But it was very lively and inspiring, so when Sydney reached the end of her "rope," I told her to turn around and this time run along the line. She happily did so, with me again following and copying her.

When she reached the end this time, she surprised me in the most wonderful way. Turning around, she took charge, announcing "Unicycle! And juggle!"


But my little circus performer wasn't doesn't yet. She next decided our tight rope needed to be longer. Much, much longer.


All the way down the driveway, she extended her line until she was nearly out of chalk. And then we started over again: walking, running and, yes, even pretending to ride a unicycle while juggling.


Oh, what must the neighbors have thought? The four-year-old tightrope walker looked pretty cute. The 41-year-old performer, meanwhile, looked sort of... um... you can imagine. I'm glad Sydney was having so much fun she didn't stop and ask to take my picture.

Let's just hope our version of the greatest show on earth went unseen and heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment