Saturday, October 15, 2011

Costume dress rehearsal

It feels good this morning to wake up and know I definitely made the right call. On this chilly 36-degree morning, which is supposed to only warm up to a 47-degree afternoon, I don't have to figure out how to fit my kids' Halloween costumes under or over a winter coat to go trick-or-treating at Boo at the Zoo. (It's an annual fundraising event at our local zoo that's held two Saturdays in October.)

Last Saturday morning, when I heard the forecast was 70+ degrees, I'd raced around to find and assemble costumes so we could go that day. I knew we couldn't possibly get that lucky two weeks in a row.


Meet the Halloween princess and the Army soldier.


This is shaping up to be the most inexpensive Halloween ever. Two costumes for less than $10 bucks! Sydney wants to wear "the same pretty dress" she wore last year. I'm okay with that! And AJ wants to be a soldier. He already has a pair of camouflage pants, and I was able to find a $9.95 shirt at WalMart. Jeff pulled out an old Army hat, plus the patches off an old uniform. I used Stitch Witchery (my new favorite product - way cooler than a hot glue gun!) to adhere the four patches to the shirt. His black winter boots completed the ensemble.

Mr. Perfectionist was a little concerned by the relatively dark color and large pattern on his uniform, He remembers Jeff's final uniform (the more modern version) had a more pixilated design and was more tan in color. Thinking quickly (I am a spin doctor!), I pulled out a photo album from when Jeff deployed to Bosnia. There he was in the darker uniform with an identical hat to the one AJ was wearing. Oh yeah! Suddenly the costume was definitely cool!

The day wasn't just about candy and costumes. We actually did spend a little time looking at the animals. I noticed the coin-operated treat dispenser in the petting zoo had been removed. I wonder if they needed to protect the animals from over-eating.


When we hit the play areas, AJ was quick to find comrades in similar costumes to play with him.

I don't recall what Sydney was declaring in the photo below. Probably something like "Trick or Treat!". It gives me chills on this very cold morning, to look at her bare legs. Hard to believe that just one week ago, I'd questioned if the long sleeves would be too warm.


It also gave me chills to see AJ in a fairly realistic soldier uniform. If his current fascination to be "a brave Army soldier like Dad was" lasts, I could see him dressed like this for real in less than 12 years. If that day comes, I hope I will be brave enough to support his decision to serve his country in such an important way. Right now, the thought scares me to death.

Let's all take a moment to pray for world peace. Wouldn't that be the most amazing treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment