Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Imagination on parade

Let's see... if you've got a wagon, dog treats, a five-gallon bucket and a bike, what could four creative kids do to stay busy for a half hour or so?

Well... organize a parade, of course!



My friend Crystal, lovely enabler of my Pampered Chef addiction that she is, just had a book party, and I needed to give her my order. So we turned it into a play date Sunday afternoon. As Crystal and I happily chatted and soaked up the sun, the kids even more happily ran around their awesomely huge yard. The highlight, at least for my kids, was playing in the tree house, which Sydney is very proud to now be able to climb up to and down from all by herself, thank you very much!

As it was nearing time to go, one of the boys rushed into the kitchen to announce a parade would be starting in just a few minutes.

By the time we reached the driveway, we found Carver setting up chairs for the spectators. Crystal and I took our seats, and the parade started.

And ended.

It was a very short parade. Ethan pulled AJ in the wagon while AJ threw stickers to the crowd of two. Sydney handed out a dog treat to Oreo. And Carver, on his bike, did his best not to crash into the slow-moving procession.


And then they switched up rolls and did it again. And again.


They were so proud of themselves. And so was I. What a fun idea!

Who needs expensive, high tech toys when you have good friends and great imaginations?

1 comment:

  1. Who needs expensive high tech toys??? I ALWAYS wonder that about this generation of kids & their parents.
    Your kids' parade brings back some fun memories when I was a kid. I was older than AJ, and most of the neighbor kids were 4-7 years younger than our next door neighbor Judy & I, but we did something similar. Ours was an EASTER HAT parade. I'm not sure who thought up the idea, but I'm sure it was Judy & I. And I'm sure the moms had to help the little ones make their hats. The moms came to watch the parade as everyone proudly displayed their hats. We sure had fun, and we have pictures to prove it.

    ReplyDelete