Friday, October 14, 2011

Gum chewing 101

Now that's she's a bus-riding preschooler who's even done real homework, there's just no end to the things Sydney is willing to try.


Digging through her bag of candy from last weekend's Boo at the Zoo (I'll try to finally write about it tomorrow), she found a piece of gum that somehow hadn't already been handed over to her brother. She and AJ negotiated some sort of deal awhile back - he gets all the gum and she gets the Dum-Dum suckers.

I suspect their treat treaty has just hit a snag, because Sydney made an important discovery this week.

Sydney: "I do like gum!"

Me: "Then where is it?"

"It's in my tummy."

"You're not supposed to swallow it, remember?"

"I didn't swallow it?"

"Then how did it get in your tummy?"

"I ate it."

I reminded her that she's just supposed to chew gum, and when she's tired of chewing, then she should spit it in the garbage.

"Oh. Can I try again?"

"I suppose."

She picked out a new piece, carefully unwrapped it and popped it in her mouth. Less than five seconds later she leaned over the garbage can and - with all the force she could muster - spit out her gum.

"There, I'm done."

Satified, she walked away. Some day we'll work on the cliche of walking and chewing gum at the same time. I don't think she's ready for that yet. For now, we'll just focus on chewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment