Saturday, October 8, 2011

Fall, please don't leave

When it comes to picking blog topics the last week or so, I seem to have fallen into a bit of a rut. But it's a leaf-filled rut, so - in my world - that makes it perfectly okay.

If the weather this month has seemed unreal (sunny and unseasonably warm), then the last two days are surely straight out of a fairytale. It was 79 degrees here yesterday. At 11 o'clock at night! Need I remind you that it's October and we live in a region where it's far more typical to see snow flurries thsi time of year. We grumble, but aren't surprised. Turn up the heat to 79 degrees, on the other hand, and we're wondering how we got so lucky (and bracing ourselves, figuring surely we'll pay for this later in the form of an especially brutal, cold and long winter.)

I've never experienced the infamous Santa Ana winds, but based on how I've heard them described - as very warm and extremely powerful - then something comparable blew through here last night. By morning, lawnchairs were tipped and the peak of the fall colors were piled on the lawn.

Making the most of the situation, the kids and I turned our attention to the backyard. (I've been avoiding the leaves there up until now because clearing them requires the extra, smelly step of scooping up after Gus.) Here's a look at the fun. It was all going well until Gus attacked the camera strap and Sydney attacked the photographer:


Forget global warming, I'm wondering if the tilt of the world's axis has shifted a bit. If it has, and it means more fall days like this one, then I'm all for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment