Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Land that I love

There's something about sitting in a crowded gym with horrible acoustics. It doesn't matter if you're up on the hard wooden bleachers that make your butt go numb, or down at ground level on chairs so far from the kids you need your camera's zoom lens to capture the action.

Each time I come away feeling thankful for our small town, the school and the people.

Last Wednesday, AJ's elementary school performed its annual Grandparents Day program. This year's concert had a patriotic theme. (Add to my list of things to be grateful for - no special costumes for this show! The kids were told to wear red, white and/or blue.)


Looking around the gymnasium, I spotted several neighbors as well as many parents I know from church, AJ's sports and other activities. It was the middle of the work day, and yet all of them had prioritized taking a few hours off to be there for their kids.

And the kids are good kids. To AJ's right is Cale from baseball and hockey. Straight down from Cale is Drew, from church. Directly below AJ is Evan T., his best friend from kindergarten. I also see Matthew and Parker in the front row, both of whom have played soccer with AJ in years past.

I'm thrilled that our school district supports the arts with such an active music program, and I'm proud that the music teachers felt it important to teach the kids songs about patriotism and honoring our troops. And when I replayed the video, I realized something far more important. Listen to the words:



"Thank God for the flag... Thank God for your country..."

Thank God we live in a school district where kids are still allowed to thank God in a public venue.

Jeff and I, along with Grandpa Bill and Grandma Jo, all listened as the kids sang. Meanwhile, a short distance away in the bleachers, AJ had another fan.


Sydney's preschool class did an impressive job sitting through the hour-long performance. More accurately, Sydney's teachers did an incredible job of keeping her class quiet throughout the show. Just about every time I looked over it seemed that at least half the kids had changed positions, shifting rows and who sat on which teacher/aid's lap. But clearly, the program made an impression on Sydney. Even last night she was asking, "When can I sing like AJ?"

If I'm remembering correctly, she will get to be in a show this spring. And no special costumes are needed for that show either. Thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment