Wednesday, January 18, 2012

And then I turned around and they were big

It happened again. I'm not quite sure when, but it did.

My kids grew up even more.

How is it that I don't realize this fact until I have photographic proof slapping me in the face like this morning's frigidly cold wind chill? 

AJ's hockey team posed for pictures last week, and all I can say is "Wow". It's not just that he looks big. I'm used to seeing him on ice and know that the skates and padding add inches and bulk. This is all about his face and attitude. This is no rookie skater. This is a three-year veteran who's confident on the ice and lives and breaths the sport.


And that was only the first bit of shock. Then came pictures of my "baby".


She's still supposed to look like a preschooler! And yet with her helmet-tousled hair and casual smile, she looks like she's been doing this for years.

There is no team photo for the kids in Learn to Skate. No buttons for the moms to proudly wear on their coats. But one of the perks of being friends with the photographer is getting to squeeze in one extra photo subject after the hockey players have all been photographed. Thank you, Crystal!

She also took this fun shot:


AJ had grown impatient by this point. He just wanted to get back to playing with his team. At least Sydney's expression is more typical of the smile I know and love.

On the subject of hockey. Sydney now thinks she's ready to play. At practice last night, her "coach" (That sounds so much more official and cool than "teacher," doesn't it?) tried to show her the "snowplow" technique of pointing her toes slightly inward to slow down and stop. Sydney wasn't interested. So instead she taught herself how to skate backwards. So now she thinks she's ready. Hopefully by next week she'll have convinced herself she needs to learn to slow and down and stop. Maybe then she'll focus on the lesson being taught.

1 comment:

  1. Just wait until your "baby" is almost 42. I think back to when you were born, a beautiful baby laying in an incubator and not expected to live. And now "I turn around and you are big."

    ReplyDelete