Monday, January 30, 2012

Celebrating on skates

Sunday was day two of the Mite 1 jamboree. And it was cold. Single digit temperatures. At least the sun was out and AJ and his team were scoring like crazy. So all was good. Just really, really cold.

Now in my third year as a hockey mom, I realize I've become a reverse snob. I used to see the really fashionable moms in their form fitting coats and stylish boots, and feel bad that I would never look as pulled together as they do. Now, as I stand in my bulky snow pants and mukluks with my neck warmer pulled up to cover my mouth, I simply shake my head at their ignorance, knowing they won't last long in the cold.

As I mentioned yesterday, I was hoping to get a picture of AJ celebrating after a goal. He gave me plenty of chances.


I could have gotten a lot more shots, but I was standing next to Jeff, who is in the habit of clapping and cheering when AJ scores. So when the camera finally snapped the photo, instead of capturing AJ's moment of glory, I got this...


Jeff and I switched spots, and AJ continued to score. Here's the "stick in the air" celebration:


And the "stick in the air plus fist pump":


Game two was more of the same.


Here's the video version. It was so nice of AJ to score within a couple of seconds of me turning on the camera. Watch closely – he's #12.


At the end of each shift, as he waits to step into his team's bench/box, I can hear AJ's voice ring out, making sure the coach is aware of how many goals he scored. And at game's end, he can always be heard shouting, "Yeah! We won!" Officially, no one is keeping score, but Mr. Intensity and the rest of his team are constantly watching and tallying.


I wonder if AJ realizes what a special season he is having. He is part of a team... and part of a line... that has dominated every game they have played. Carter, Daniel, Wyatt and AJ. I credit the coaches for keeping these boys together. When they're on the ice at the same time, they pay attention to each other and pass really well. Which means they're scoring and having fun. It also means the newer skaters get a chance to really play on the alternate line, rather than simply be out on the ice while older kids skate past them.

I can't help but wonder if (and hope) I'll be watching them play together for the next 10 years. It almost makes it worthwhile to spend an hour standing outside in the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment