Thursday, January 5, 2012

Skating daredevil

Someday, my daughter will want to learn to drive. I should probably start stocking up on anti-anxiety medication right now. (For me, not her.) The thought of Sydney behind the wheel of a large vehicle that has an accelerator terrifies me. There's just something about her personality and her willingness to push herself and take risks.

I was reminded of this one recent evening when I took her skating. This was her fourth attempt on ice in the last week. The first two times were met with less than an enthusiastic response.  But then on the third visit, she discovered a piece of equipment that changed everything. Forget the boring, grey metal bar. She found a new support made of white PVC pipes. Let her push that around and suddenly she's an unstoppable force. Skating suddenly ceased to be about form, technique and grace. It's all about speed.

 

As if to re-emphasize her point, Sydney watched the video on my phone last night and proudly bragged, "I was going super fast!"

The official Learn to Skate classes start next week.  Part of me hopes the PVC bar disappears by then. If she gets to use it, I doubt she'll pay attention to the instructor. If some other child grabs it first, there will be attitude issues.

On a brighter note, it's given me an idea to perhaps dampen her enthusiasm to drive, which she could start learning to do in... gulp... eleven years. I'll just have to make sure her first car is made of boring, grey metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment