Friday, January 6, 2012

An offer too good to miss

In keeping with my New Year's resolution of counting my blessings and focusing on the positive, let me just say how happy I am, as an ad agency copywriter, that I don't have to write fluff/crap like this direct mail piece that came to us yesterday courtesy of the Danbury Mint. Okay, technically it was addressed to Jeff, but he was working and how could I not open an envelope marked "Attention Golden Retriever Lover"?

And boy am I glad I did. For, you see, we (Jeff) are among a limited group of customers in our area who have been selected to receive a FREE Golden Retriever Snow Globe Ornament, and it's so valuable, that it's offered for just a limited time.


Just look at that sweet puppy in the ornament. I bet he would never pull over his Christmas tree. He's too busy leaving pawprints on our hearts.


And then I looked over at our sweet puppy. He was alternating between humping a couch cushion and chewing on a handmade pillow my mom no doubt worked on for hours. 


Oh, but wait, I'm apparently looking at this all wrong. Gus isn't a monstrous brat with a chewing/attitude problem. No. He's simply a "spirited Golden Retriever."


What's more, it turns out, "Golden Retrievers are people too!"


How did I not realize that all these years? I'll be sure to apologize to Gus for misunderstanding him. Right after I smack him for amputating the legs and one arm of Sydney's new Barbie/Chelsea flower girl doll she got for Christmas. 

Wait! There's still more to tell you about these valuable keepsake ornaments. Each one "comes with a luxurious golden hanging cord for an eye-catching presentation on your tree." And... we'll also get a free box to put them in. But not just any box, an "elegant custom-made Keepsake Box". (Does capitalizing Keepsake Box make it sound more important? I guess their copywriter thinks so.)


And I love how the ornaments are shown hanging nicely in a row at the bottom of the tree. Clearly, the art director has never owned a golden retriever. Those amazingly detailed, finely crafted collector's items would be knocked down by the dog's tail in an instant!

But this is just such a great deal, I'm struggling to find the will-power to say no! Except... too bad we just took down the Christmas tree last week. This mailing was timed so well. 

Perhaps if they'd waited a couple (or 10) months... Maybe by then Gus will be "brimming with Golden Retriever charm". Maybe then I'd consider it.

But probably not. I try really hard to not reward bad marketing.

And now, I think I'll leave this lovely piece of literature on the coffee table. Let's see how long it survives before my spirited golden retriever grabs it and rips it to shreds.

3 comments:

  1. Loved it! Out of curiousity, you should order an ornament...AND the snowglobe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gus better NOT chew up the Swedish Weaving pillow, or he will be in deep doo-doo with this grandma. When Eric & Sarah's dog chewed off the corner of their afghan, I had to "remake" part of it so it's not symetrical anymore. Then Gus messes up Jeff's Christmas ball, so I remade part of that. Nope, one remake to a family, grandpuppies.
    And the snowglobe? I think you're right on about that mailing. You just never know what kind of junk you get can in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my house if we want Autumn to chew something up we just put it in the wastepaper basket. She loves pulling things out of there to chew on. I'm giggling at the thought of the "golden cord" coming out of Gus after he chews up said christmas ornament.

    ReplyDelete