Sunday, January 29, 2012

The hazards of being a rink rat

We all know hockey can be a dangerous sport. But who knew being a spectator could carry such risk?


Though, technically, Sydney wasn't a spectator, because she wasn't even watching her brother's game. She was playing around... in boots... on the adjoining small rink - the one she usually uses for her skating lessons.


I'd been watching AJ's game and figured I should go check on her. As I started walking toward the rink, I was met by Sydney and the older brother of one of AJ's teammates (they often play together to kill time during practice.) Caden pointed out, "There's your mom."

And that's when I noticed the tears. And the major goose egg on her forehead, and the road rash (or ice rash?) on her cheek.

"I... fell... down..." was all she could say through the tears.

I picked her up and did my best to maneuver through the crowd of players, parents and hockey bags inside the shack and made my way to the concession stand... which had no ice. So we did the next best thing and grabbed a plastic food service glove and squeezed our way back outside to fill it with snow.

She, of course, milked it for all it's worth. "Can we snuggle, Mommy? 'Cause I have an owie on my forehead."

This morning she's doing just fine. And boy does she look tough! I'm also hopeful that she will never again argue when I suggest she wear a helmet.

Enough about Sydney's learning experience. This weekend is all about hockey. It's the Esko Mite 1 Jamboree.


Amazingly, the weather - while windy - wasn't horrible. Keep in mind, I have very low expectations based on previous years. The first one was played in the midst of a blizzard. The kids had to play the final game with a tennis ball because there was so much snow on the rink. And last year, the temperature was below zero for some of the games.

So yeah, compared to that, a bit of wind and light snow with temperatures in the teens isn't so bad.


The light snow did make for a funny scene during period brakes. To clear the rink, the dads lined up with shovels and brooms. Wasn't there a 70s cartoon that ended with a guy with a push broom and a twitchy moustache, sweeping the scene off the screen? That's what Jeff reminded me of.


The kids played great. The picture below is actually a shot of AJ scoring. I finally got one!


Today's photo goal will be to capture his celebratory pose immediately after scoring. It's not enough to hoist his stick in the air. No, after watching the Wild and Bulldogs players score, he now has to lift one of his legs up, too.

Another goal... an injury-free day. Two more games to go... let's do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment