Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Outdoor hockey

It's that time of year again. Even though this is turning out to be the winter that wasn't, it's still cold enough for water to freeze, which means hockey has moved outside. And I ask you, have you ever seen a cuter hockey player?


While Alex visited a friend one day last week, Sydney and I tested the ice at our local rink. We've got her signed up for the Learn to Skate program, so I figured it'd be good to get in a few practices ourselves ahead of time. Sydney was very excited to get to wear her brother's hand-me-down hockey gear. It took about 20 minutes to her dressed, and to lace up skates on her and me. At last we made it to the rink.

And in less than 10 minutes she was ready to come back inside.

Doesn't it figure?

Last Friday, we returned to the rink, and this time we brought the boys with us.


It's just not even fair how much better of a skater Alex has become, compared to me. At least I didn't fall down. And the couple of times I knocked him down? Well, I'm sure he deserved it. And he was wearing pads, so it really didn't hurt him.

Sydney's interest in skating again lasted a remarkably short length of time. "I'm too cold... My legs hurt... My eyes are hot... (Huh?) My ears are cold..." She had a million reasons she needed to come inside and warm up next to the snack shack.

I let her sit in the warming house and play with my phone while Jeff, Alex and I, along with a friend of his who happened to be at the rink, all battled it out. Later, Jeff finally got Sydney to join us.



Note the activity in the background of the above photo. There were probably a dozen kids, ranging in age from six to 16 who all had meandered down to the rink at some point in the afternoon. I don't know if there were any actual teams or if anyone was really keeping score. Kids came and went, and the pick-up game continued. And so with Jeff and I focusing on helping Sydney skate, Alex happily skated off to play with the big kids.

How I love our community! Alex is the little guy wearing white, skating in the center of the photo:


When we at last announced it was time to go home, Alex didn't want to leave. (Big surprise!) He was having too much fun. He couldn't remember the names of the kids he'd played with, but was very excited that "some of the high schoolers and collegers" knew his name was AJ. (Yes, that's the term he used for the kids who must have been old enough to be in college.)

Part of me believes it's certainy possible that my son was memorable enough for them to learn his name. But then I noticed his helmet is still labeled "AJ" from hockey practice.

Still, it was a great time, and a great way to make the most of a winter afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment