Sunday, January 15, 2012

Online "communication"

In first grade, I remember learning to read, tie my shoes and tell time. My son is learning to send emails and post assignments online.

How the world has changed!

AJ's teacher warned us last week that we should should expect an email - it would come from her e-mail address, but would be written by our child. Sure enough, the below message arrived Friday. 


His first email: short and sweet, and a bit confusing. What's with the ending about "going to watch TV"? Was he signing off to go watch TV? No, he explained when he got home from school, on Pajama Day, they get to watch TV. Aaahhh.

I asked AJ if he typed the email himself. Yes, he did. How long did it take? Two days.

It got me thinking. I can't remember when exactly I got email capabilities. I know I was an adult, and suspect it was through work at WDIO, because I don't think I had a home computer until after I got married. But who was the first person I emailed and what did I write about? I have no clue.

This isn't AJ's first time typing on the computer. Aside from the various online games he's played, he also posted this little gem on his class' microsite. The assignment was to first write a little bit about themself, and then type it. 


Isn't that special. If you can't decipher it, here are the three most important things my son thinks you should know about him:
My name is Alex
I am 6 years old.
I have an Iraq $1,000 dollar bill.

It's always nice to see what matters from his perspective.

Supposedly, by spring, he'll learn how to make a PowerPoint presentation. When he's done, maybe he can teach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment