Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Making concessions

Working the concession stand at the ice rink is pretty close to my least favorite part of being a hockey mom. (Beat out only by watching my child play hockey in sub zero temperatures with a nearby fire ring set up to offer a slight hint of warmth, along with enough smoke to stink up my coat for the next week. That, I believe, is my least favorite part.) 

All the moms in our AJ's hockey league are expected to work at least three shifts throughout the season. And while it's better than the dads' responsibility of flooding the rink each week, it's still a miserably tedious experience. For me, it brings flashbacks to my illustrious career start at McDonalds, combined with way too much time to think about all the things I could be doing and cleaning in my own home that would be a better use of my time. To sum it up in two words, concession stand duty is long and it is boring.

But not for Sydney. 


Saturday, Sydney eagerly volunteered to join me in the small little room where we're surrounded by candy, cookies, chips, pop and other treats. I can't imagine why she wanted to spend her time there. She happily pulled up a stool, announcing, "This is my first day on the job!"


Jeff and AJ joined us part way through the shift, bringing me some needed healthy food from home. AJ immediately went out skating, because the two games he was playing in a tournament that day weren't enough for him. Sydney happily showed Daddy the "plus game" she'd been playing (i.e. pushing buttons on the calculator.)

Alas, Saturday was quite possibly the most boring day we could have picked to spend four hours in the concession stand. Pretty much every local hockey player was involved in a tournament elsewhere that day, which meant none of them were coming to skate here. We saw less than 10 people and made a whopping $11.50 in sales. In four hours.

To help pass the time, Sydney turned to song and dance. She will probably hate me someday for sharing this, but how can I resist?

No comments:

Post a Comment