Sunday, January 1, 2012

Ringing in 2012

Happy New Year! My favorite little party animals made it until midnight and happily joined us in toasting the arrival of 2012. (Though I think AJ is still a little confused why a toast involves sparkling cider and not a piece of toast.)


We spent a low-key, fun evening with several other families, all of whom we've met and become friends with because of our kids. It's interesting how our social circles have changed and evolved based on our kids and their friends. Or is it our kids have become closer friends with the children whose parents we've befriended?

Regardless, it was a fun night of talking, snacking, drinking, Nerf gun battles and hide-and-seek. Alas, the evening came to an end far too soon for someone's liking. 


In tears, Sydney insisted she wasn't tired and wasn't ready to go home. I should note: she slept until 10:30 this morning.

AJ, meanwhile, is already asking which holiday will give him the next chance to stay up until midnight. He thinks July 4th would be a good occasion.


As for New Year's resolutions, I've already blown my annual attempt at quitting my nail biting habit. Stopping pen chewing still has a chance, primarily because I've been home all day with no reason to touch a pen. But my biggest goal for 2012 is a change in attitude. I resolve to spend more time recognizing the many blessings in my life and less time complaining and worrying about what I don't have or what I might want. I have a wonderful family and we are together and in good health. Period. Everything else is secondary. And as long as I remember that, it will indeed be a happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment