Saturday, March 31, 2012

The bob

I've known for a week that Sydney needed a haircut. What I didn't realize is that she wanted one. And not just a simple trim. She was ready for a new look.

Here it is... the bob:



Sydney 's new look was a spur of the moment decision on her part. While waiting to get her haircut, I opened up one of the hair style books sitting in the reception area. Sydney spotted a picture of a girl with a bob and said, "I want that!"

"You want a bob?" I asked, rather shocked. This is the child who, as recently as a week ago, wanted hair like Rapunzel.

"I do!" She insisted, even as I showed her pictures of little girls with longer hair, and pointed out that she wouldn't be able to style her hair like theirs if she got hers cut that short.

"I want a bob!" She repeated to me, and then ran to a stylist who was busy with another customer. "Can I get a bob?" Sydney asked the woman. I'm pretty sure she just liked calling it a bob.


And then I told her she wouldn't get as many snarls in her hair if it was short. She was sold! Off came a couple of inches of hair. As if recognizing what a big girl decision she'd just made, Sydney did a remarkable job sitting still for the stylist and looking down when asked to do so. And when all was done, a perkier than ever child emerged. She excitedly predicted, "AJ isn't going to recognize me!"


About the twentieth time she asked, "what's my haircut called?" I started telling her it was a pixie cut, figuring that might be easier for her to remember than "bob." But no, she likes calling it a bob, and I've belatedly realized she doesn't need the reminder. She just likes asking questions for the sake of asking questions.

Later in the evening, as I watched her twirl in front of the mirror and admire her new 'do, I couldn't help but feel a certain sense of deja vu.


There's definitely a slight resemblance. I used to call it my anchor bob. Seeing how cute it looks on Sydney, I'm almost tempted to go back to that style. 

1 comment:

  1. Cute haircut, Sydney. Grandma Elouise and Grandpa Dave love it. Grandpa says you look just like your mom at that age.
    And Dana....Mom says, "Get the bob." I've always loved your shorter haircuts - the bob and the shorter one you had early on in your TV career. (Don't get me wrong, I obviously like your hair long, too, but you look so cute and professional with short hair. Besides that, now would be a "cute time" for both of you to have the same cut. (There will come a time when Sydney won't want that.) (Remember when Dad had to have the crewcut like Eric because of the dare?)

    ReplyDelete