Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Happy Birthday, Oreo, love, Sydney

I read on Facebook a few days ago (which makes it absolutely true, of course) that the Oreo is celebrating its 100th birthday. What a wonderful excuse to eat a couple of cookies!

The kids seemed to appreciate my logic. And faster than you can say sugar rush, Sydney turned her enthusiasm into an interpretive dance of sorts.


So in other words, Sydney not only shares my loves of Oreos, she also, sadly, seems to have inherited my (lack of) singing and dancing skills.

AJ was much more laid back and practical about this important date. The ice cream he was getting for a bedtime treat - he topped it with an Oreo.

Sydney, meanwhile, was on a role. She wanted to know how to spell Oreo. I told her and showed it to her on the wrapper. She then proceeded to grab a marker and construction paper and make a sign to hang on her bedroom door. So if there was any doubt, an Oreo fan lives in this room.


And then she made another sign, to tape to her brother's door.


And then when I wasn't looking, she made about a half dozen more signs to hang on her bookcase, play kitchen, closet doors and bedroom walls. What does it say about my four-year-old's priorities (and my parenting) that she now knows how to write exactly two words: her name and the name of a cookie.

Incidentally, I heard on the news this morning that today is the actual anniversary of the day the National Biscuit Company made its first sale of Oreo sandwich cookies, to a Hoboken grocer. Sounds like a good reason to have another cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment