Thursday, March 1, 2012

Snow day

Yeah for snow! And yeah for a day off from school, which meant a day off for me from work, to hunker down through the worst of it, and to play in the snow once the winds had died down.


Officially, we got eight inches of snow. But in our yard, those depths varied from bare ground to well past my knees. Even the covered porch saw significant accumulations.



While I shoveled the front sidewalk, Sydney ran around back. And then she ran back to the front proclaiming, "Mom! You've got to see the backyard. It's horrible!"


I think she was referring to the high snow drifts that had piled in certain corners. Bless our neighbor for clearing our driveway with his plow. This was heavy snow to shovel. It wasn't horribly wet, but it had been packed in place by strong winds.

It wasn't ideal snow for snowballs, but that sure didn't stop the kids from pummeling each other.


Here's Mr. Innocent trying to act casual as he plotted to attack me. Silly, silly child. It's not smart to throw a small snowball at a person who's got a large shovel full of snow.


As mentioned yesterday, Gus loved the mounds of snow. He'd run around like a maniac, and then come back to the door and bark to come in. Or so I thought. About the 15th time he/we did this, it finally dawned on me - he didn't want to come in. He wanted me to join him outside.


Sydney couldn't stop giggling as she ran around the yard with Gus. Of course. monster dog showed his appreciation by yanking off one of Sydney's mittens and then racing around the yard in hopes she'd chase him. By the time I was able to get it back, the mitten was soaked. I found a different pair of gloves for Sydney to wear. And then Gus grabbed one of those, too.


At bedtime, Sydney wanted to know if the snow would be back tomorrow. (A fair question to ask considering how little snow we've had this winter.) She was disappointed that she'd forgotten to build a snowman. I assured her it wouldn't melt right away. And now I have a pretty good idea how we'll be spending at least a portion of our Mommy/Sydney day on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment