Thursday, March 22, 2012

Going postal

Who says the art of letter writing is dead? In Sydney's case, the emphasis is on the art, more than the writing.

Note: This photo is sideways - for a reason.
(It's because I can't tell which is the top versus the bottom.)

To my friend Jess, if you're reading this, take note of the above photo and show it to your girls, so that when we see you this weekend you can all nod and smile at Sydney and say, "Yes, we saw your letter." It's her thank you note to you all for finding her missing magic wand.

Sydney mailed it last week.

She thinks.

After finishing her masterpiece, she proudly walked to the end of the driveway and stuck it in the box where our newspaper is delivered. Done! (I recovered it later that evening and have been intending to mail it for real ever since.)

Fast forward to last night. Sydney had been playing outside, then came in asking, "Can I make a letter?"

"Sure. Which letter do you want to make?" I assumed she wanted to write the letters of the alphabet on the driveway. "Do you need some chalk?"

"No. I want to make a letter." she told me, over-enunciating her words to make up for my apparent slowness. "A letter to send to someone."

And so I started pulling out craft supplies. This time, she decided she needed paint.


She carefully completed her masterpiece: a girl holding flowers. (Trust me, they're flowers. They are not balloons. Don't make the same mistake I did. )


And then she applied the finishing touch. She knows that all mail needs a stamp, and so she pulled out some of my rubber stamps and ink, and added lots of stamps.

"Now it needs to dry," she told me, "and then I can mail it."

I'll be sure to check the paper box later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment