Tuesday, March 27, 2012

What to 'do?

More and more, Sydney is paying attention to ways she can, in her opinion, make herself prettier. Accessories! Accessories! Accessories! This is a girl who pays attention to detail. She doesn't necessarily choose matching details, but as long as there's some bling, she's happy.

She's also starting to request particular hair styles. I suppose I should be grateful that her requests have nothing to do with peer pressure. She has several friends whose mothers must have been hair stylists in previous lives, because the little darlings always have adorable 'dos. But I've yet to hear Sydney ask to wear her hair like one of them.

No, she sets the bar much higher. She wants her hair styled like Ariel, Belle and Cinderella. I have no idea how to do anything like that. If I did, my own most common hairdo wouldn't be a simple ponytail.

So it came as some relief Sunday morning when, as we were getting ready for church, she asked if I could braid her hair like Rapunzel's. For those who haven't seen Tangled, there's a scene in which children dance around her like she's a May pole and weave her hair into a beautiful french braid with flowers. I can do a french braid!

Correction. 

I can french braid hair that's longer and less fine hair than Sydney's. As a compromise, I convinced her to let me do two braids. That worked. Tah dah!


And then I looked at the clock. To be on time for Sunday school, we needed to leave in approximately three minutes and I hadn't done anything with my own hair other than towel dry it. I rushed into the bathroom and went to work with my hair straightener, remembering the days when I used to spend 20+ minutes curling and styling my tresses. Now that time is spent on my daughter's hair, and as long as I'm looking mildly presentable, we're good to go.

With that thought still in my mind, we got in the car to leave for church. It was as I was backing out of the garage and looking in the rear view mirror that I happened to spot AJ in the back seat.

Yikes!

As if the ratio of 20 minutes on Sydney's hair to three minutes on my own wasn't bad enough, I suddenly realized I'd spent zero time on AJ's hair.

Keep smiling Sydney! Maybe no one will notice you're related to the boy with the really messy hair.

Thank goodness his hair is short! And the spiky look is popular right now, isn't it? Hopefully no one spotted the totally rumpled part on the back of his head.

When we got home, Sydney couldn't wait to remove the braids. She had a new idea. She remembered the neon pink, fake hair braid that she'd gotten at her friend Lily's birthday party the day before and decided that was a much better look. And bonus! looking through AJ's goodie bag, he got a neon green one, which he was more than happy to share.

Why couldn't Disney come up with a princess who wears her hair like this:


It'd make my life so much easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment