Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Spring-inspired artwork

The wonderful thing about creativity is that it's limited not by artistic tools, but rather only by the imagination of the individual holding the tools. So in Sydney's case, when she found herself with time to kill in my office, a couple of sheets of paper from the printer; a pencil, highlighter and scissors from Mom's desk and a few lint-covered crayons from the bottom of Mom's purse were all she needed. Oh yeah - and a plastic cup to trace around for circles. She was set!


Her first idea was to draw a house. But when either the size or the roof line didn't turn out quite right, she quickly adapted. "Hey, it looks like a purse!" She told me.


I'm pretty sure she was working harder than I was. And there's no doubt she was more productive.


By the time she was done, I could barely see parts of my computer screen. It was covered by(clockwise from top left, ignoring the round sticker) a house, snow-woman holding a purse, puppy, sunflower and rainbow. That blue character on the top right was the reason she chose my monitor as the perfect place to display her work - that's a drawing AJ had given me long ago.


Once we got home, her creativity remained unleashed. This time, it was the driveway that served as her canvas. (That's a girl, she's drawing, if you can't tell.)


How wonderful March is! Exactly one week earlier, I'd been shoveling seven plus inches of snow from this very spot. And now, after a couple 55+ degree days, it's the perfect spot for an artist gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment