Monday, April 8, 2013

Beach day

It hurts. It really, really hurts.

I'm continuing to write about our vacation, and as I look at the photos of the sun and white sandy beach of Corpus Christi,


I can't help but look out my window at my white snowy backyard. Because it snowed again Saturday. And again today. And is supposed to snow yet again in the next couple days.

Enough already.

I want more of this:


During our week in Texas, we kept pushing back our plans for a road trip to the beach. We wanted sun and warm weather. Warm is such a relative term, isn't it. What I wouldn't give for a 60-degree day right now.

We got plenty of sun, but also wind. Of course, that just made it more of an adventure for AJ to dodge the waves.


And gave me a chance to try out a new hair style. Maybe not.


Sydney wasn't too sure about going in the water. We coaxed and told her to just get her feet wet. Eventually she got this close to the water for a photo with her brother.


And then the waves hit, and she discovered it wasn't so bad.


And then there was no stopping her. She didn't just run up and down the beach. She danced!



Eventually, she even took off the cover-up to run in just her swimsuit. Though it didn't last long.


Dancing gave way to singing. The wind drowned out most of it, but I could clearly hear her declare: "I am queen of the waves!"


With the exception of two drunk/high bums that we passed in the parking lot, we had the beach to ourselves. And amazingly, an ice cream man still came buy. And despite the loud wind, the kids heard the music.


Sydney picked a popsicle. AJ got an ice cream sandwich. But he soon discovered it can be a problem to be the only person on the beach with ice cream. Because apparently sea gulls really like ice cream. (They seemed uninterested in the popsicle.) 


At first we laughed when a couple of the sea rats started walking closer. And then a few more started to hover. And then still more started circling. AJ took off running.


He laughed the whole time, but his expression said he was relieved when he finally ate the last bite and was left in peace.

And now I must leave for work. I need to allow extra driving time because of the slippery roads. (Sigh.)

I'd rather be at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment