Friday, April 5, 2013

Memories of the Alamo

I first visited San Antonio at age 18, while with my church youth group at the National Lutheran Youth Convention. And I remember that we never visited the Alamo. And I've regretted it ever since.

It only took me 25 years to finally make it right.


The problem is that 25 years later I had two kids with me. And while one of them has a strong interest in history, I know how quickly they get bored on guided tours and didn't want them disrupting the other people who paid for tickets.


And so we chose the free walk through option. AJ, of course, had to climb on the cannons.


And goof around by the cacti.


Sydney did a better job at that. Note that by this time we finally bought her a sweatshirt that fit. She'd been wearing one of mine up until that point.


I walked around and tried to imagine what it must have been like to live in the mission, but I think I spent more time simply appreciating the sun and flowers and everything green.


A shallow canal ran through the grounds, stocked with giant koi. It was funny to watch people walk by, glance down to see what people were staring at, and then do a double take when they saw the size of the colorful fish.


Outside the grounds is a giant statue honoring those who died defending the Alamo.


And just beyond this sacred ground is a whole block full of cheesy tourist stops. Ripley's Believe it or Not, a Guiness Records museum, Wax Museum, etc. It seems so wrong that something so tacky can be so close to something so historical. But my thoughts on this were interrupted by my husband and son who were excitedly pointing and asking, "Can we go to that?"

We split up at that point. The boys did their thing, while Sydney and I headed in the opposite direction to the mall that's next to the Riverwalk. If I ever get around to loading the pictures from Jeff's phone onto the computer, I'll be sure to share them. Because what better memory can you have of the Alamo than a photo of your son with a wax Rocky Balboa?

Someday I will return to the Alamo and take the official tour. Hopefully it won't take me another 25 years to make it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment